Senior Pet Care
Dr. Greta’s experience along with her experienced, dedicated, and friendly staff provide you with the resources every cat or dog owner needs. For our older furry companions, this can make all the difference. Smaller and larger issues creep up that we need to deal with and it takes more time for their appointments. We start with 30 minute appointments that provide the time to listen to your concerns and observations and then be able to explain your options. It is important to us that you understand how your pet is doing and feel comfortable with the choices you make moving forward.
Tell Us About Any of These Symptoms:
- Changes in movement, limping, trouble or hesitation jumping, or dragging any feet
- Drinking more and Urinating more frequently or for longer each time
- A change in appetite – either decreased or increased
- Changes in haircoat
- Confusion, staring into space, different patterns through the day/night
- Changes in sleep patterns – more or less
- Bad breath from teeth or metabolic changes
- Increased grumpiness with humans or other animals in the house
- Decreased social engagement, more grumpy about things
- Poor grooming – especially in cats
Senior cats and dogs need more regular care and monitoring than their younger counterparts. Their health can change quickly and our goal is to get ahead of problems before they become worse and more challenging to manage. They need more wellness exams and labwork as well as more frequent dental cleanings as they age. Some problems need follow-up appointments so that we can assess the results of our plan and make any changes to get even better improvement. Our veterinarians can help you determine how often your senior pet should be coming in to the vet here in Clarksburg to maintain optimal health. We’ll make sure you feel empowered to make the best decisions for your animal companion.
Ageing Management Options for Older Pets:
- Supplements – joint, gastrointestinal, skin, urinary, cognitive, anxiety
- Diet changes – many options for managing a variety of health issues
- Pain medications – for back, joint and muscle pain
- Management changes – avoiding stairs, raising food & water, flooring & traction, food & water more close by, etc
- Dental Care – more brushing, tartar reducing chews/treats, more frequent cleanings
- Grooming changes – more nail trims, dealing with matting
- Rehabilitation treatments
The easiest way to treat health problems is to prevent them by keeping the body and the mind healthy. This is even more true once our pets are in their golden years. Early detection and management of chronic illnesses is the best way to keep costs down over the lifetime of your cat or dog. We work hard to build long-standing relationships with our patients over the years, establishing great communication between pets, owners and the veterinarian. All dogs, cats and humans are unique and our care reflects that.
Our goal is to manage older pets with gentle care and handling and help with health challenges as they arise so they don’t get worse. We want your pet to have the most comfortable and happy aging process we can provide.
Clarksburg Animal Hospital is proud to provide senior pet care for pets and owners in Clarksburg, Germantown, Boyds, Damascus, Urbana, Ijamsville, Monrovia and the surrounding areas.