Keeping Pets Free of Fear
Managing your pet’s fear when they come to our clinic has always been one of our top priorities here at Clarksburg Animal Hospital. We use a variety of techniques to help lower stress in cats and dogs at the vet. We know that when your pet feels comfortable, you do too. Our veterinarians can do a better exam, and we’ll be able to discuss everything that we need for a comprehensive history on your pet without distractions. When your cat or dog isn’t traumatized by their trip to the vet, it’s easier to bring them in for a visit when they really need it during an illness or at the time of an injury. Keeping pets free of fear means better care and less stress.
Our Fear Free Approach
- Our veterinarians and technicians make notes on your pet’s medical chart of what works best so we can be consistent with an approach that works, no matter which member of our team sees your pet.
- We listen to pet owners about what they think will work for their pet. After all, you know your furry companion best!
- We always take our time with your pet, setting aside a few minutes at the beginning of each appointment to talk with you and give your pet time to approach us or take a few treats to help break the ice.
- We try to avoid cornering pets at all costs, and we keep both dogs and cats facing their owner as much as possible. It is comforting to see a familiar human is there with you.
- For pets that prefer it, we make every effort to minimize how much we grab and hold your pet, doing just enough to keep everyone safe for the procedure we are performing. “Less is Best” is most often our motto.
The more times your pet has a positive experience at the vet, the lower their stress will be the next time they visit. Over time we get less anxiety and more cooperation from them. As you become more comfortable with the process, you will be less anxious as well. The calmer you are the calmer your pet. We have great long-term results with anxious patients (and their owners too!).
Fear Free Environment
- Patients small enough to need to be on the table instead of the floor are often more comfortable on a towel or mat on the table which is less cold and slippery.
- We also use a calming pheromone to help them relax.
- We are very flexible when it comes to surgery and dental procedures. We can easily manage drop offs within 30 minutes of surgery time or at the time of surgery for the very anxious pets. We will also get them home as early as your schedule and our schedule allows. Lower stress leads to better recoveries.
Enjoy the gentle differences for your pet’s veterinary experience and see how much more relaxed you are taking them to the vet!
Clarksburg Animal Hospital is proud to provide low stress veterinary care in Clarksburg, Germantown, Boyds, Damascus, Urbana, Ijamsville, Monrovia and the surrounding areas.