In the midst of recent developments with COVID-19 (The Corona Virus), we are implementing a plan to help protect our clients and our team. These may be updated with the changing environment surrounding the Corona Virus. Please watch your email for further developments.
So far, there has not been evidence that pets are able to transmit the virus back and forth with humans and we are not concerned about handling and treating patients. Our concern is human to human transmission. The greatest risks for transmission are through airborne particles. Our rooms and spaces are small and a single cough could infect every person in the room. Surface contamination is another mode of transmission and is something we already manage in our routine operations. We routinely disinfect surfaces and wash our hands and avoid touching our faces to prevent transmission between patients and between humans. We are adjusting our practices to focus more on limiting exposure between humans.
Our Internal Cleaning Plan
- We have medical grade disinfectant that we will now use to clean the front desk surfaces and the credit card machine after each user.
- Our credit card machine is on the desk for you to operate yourself. Don’t forget that we accept Apple Pay and Google Pay which can also limit your surface contact.
- In addition to our usual exam room cleaning, we will also be cleaning the exam room door handles between appointments.
- We will use the same disinfectant to clean the outside door handle as much as possible throughout the day. The front door can be pushed open on the way out without touching it.
- If you need to wash your hands during or at the end of your visit with us, please don’t hesitate to ask and we’ll guide you to the sink in our pharmacy area or the bathroom.
- We will disinfect the faucet handles on the bathroom sink after each use. Our two other sinks have lever handles which can be shut off with an elbow.
- We will be disinfecting our phones and desks, keyboards and mouse surfaces at least once daily.
Non-Traditional Appointment Options
We don’t want a pet who needs help to go without veterinary care. If you are concerned about limiting your exposure, have possibly been exposed yourself or have undiagnosed symptoms please ask for one of these special options. If you think you may have symptoms, please don’t be shy about telling us, we all want to be as safe as possible. We have two options:
- Pet Only Appointment. We will meet you outside the front door and take your pet inside for an exam. You can remain in your car during the appointment and the doctor will speak with you on the phone about your pet. We will also check you out over the phone before you leave. Then we will meet you outside the front door with your pet and any needed medications. If your pet is overly anxious without you present, we can plan for a safe sedative to give prior to the appointment to make the experience less worrisome.
- Telemedicine. A consult over the phone with email photos or videos is another way to accomplish treatment in some cases. Not all problems can be diagnosed this way and a Pet Only Appointment may be needed. Telemedicine appointments will still incur exam fees just as if you were coming to see us. Payment will also be taken over the phone. If medications are needed, we can hand them out the front door when you arrive or leave them on the back door for you to pick up.
- Surgical Drop Offs as a Pet Only Appointment. Normally you come in and sign your surgical estimate and provide a phone number where you can be reached while your pet is in our care. We can email you the estimate to complete prior to your arrival. You may scan it and email it back to us or hand it to us outside the front door when you arrive with your pet. Pick up will be the same as a Pet Only Appointment.
- There may be future problems with medication supplies. Currently there are no issues with getting medications. We will be monitoring the situation and work around any supply chain problems the best we can.
- If you are currently purchasing your pet’s medications from a human pharmacy and would like to avoid going there, please call us. We may be able to provide those medications or special order them for you so you don’t have to wait with sick humans at the pharmacy for your pet’s medication.
- Our Online Pharmacy is also an option for pets who don’t need medication immediately, although there is an option for next day shipping for an additional cost. We’d be happy to help you set that up.
Our goal is for Clarksburg Animal Hospital to be the least risky place you visit outside of home so your pets can still get the care they need without risking your own health. We also want our team members to stay healthy so we can continue to provide you with the thoughtful care you have come to know with us. As always, feel free to call or email us with any questions.